Cavaillé-Coll Organs in Argentina
Nearly 20 Cavaillé-Coll organs were installed in Argentina, specially in its Capital city,
Buenos Aires. Only one of them is suspicious to be an authentic
Aristide Cavaillé-Coll, since the others
arrived during the period when Charles Mutin conducted the organ building company.
As we know, Charles Mutin continued using the label "A. Cavaillé-Coll"
in several instruments until 1910.
After that year the consoles were marked as "Mutin Cavaillé-Coll".
Unfortunately only a few of them are working properly nowadays. Some were dismounted and
sold to foreign people. Others are still mounted in their original places but need urgent
reparations. One of the most important Mutin organs in Buenos Aires was destroyed by fire
during a social disturb consecuence of a revolution that took place in Argentina by the middle
of XX century.
Only a few are still working fine and we can appreciate their beauty in the same way
they were heard just after installation.
** Pic: Aristide Cavaillé-Coll at the age of 25.
Here's a list of the Cavaillé-Coll organs in Argentina (the lost organs are not
included in this list):
Organs placed in Buenos Aires city:
1. Basílica del Santísimo Sacramento (1912)
2. "La Salle" College (1926)
3. San Juan Bautista church (ca. 1920)
4. Basílica del Sagrado Corazón de Jesús (ca. 1906)
5. Basílica de San Nicolás de Bari (main organ) (unknown date of construction)
6. Basílica San Nicolás de Bari (crypt)
7. "Casa de la empleada" Chapel
8. Parish of "Nuestra Señora del Valle"
9. Parish of "San Martín de Tours" (ca. 1910)
10. Parish of "San Cristobal"
Organs placed in cities very close to Buenos Aires:
11. Basílica de Nuestra Señora de Luján (ca. 1908)
12. Cathedral of San Isidro (1906)
13. Parish of "Nuestra Señora de Aránzazu" (San Fernando) (1907)
14. Parish of "San Francisco Solano" (Bella Vista) (1906)
Organs placed in the province of Buenos Aires:
15. Inmaculada Concepción Chapel, Saturnino Unzué institute, Mar del Plata (1906)
16. Estancia Acelain (Azul)
17. Fortín Mercedes
Organ placed in the province of Santa Fe:
18. "Nuestra Señora de los Milagros" church (1886) perhaps the only
Aristide Cavaillé-Coll in Argentina
A particular advertisement of the Mutin Cavaillé-Coll branch in Buenos Aires
Francisque Pic worked on the installation of the Cavaillé-Coll organs in the first part of the twenties.
We don´t know who is the lady on the right of Mr. Pic.
(the picture belongs to Enrique Rimoldi)
Please click here to return to the MAIN PAGE
Please click here to return to the ENGLISH MENU
Authors: Rafael Ferreyra & David Merello
Send your Mails to